Phone Rings :
Us – Good morning Thank you for calling BBQ and Cravings, how may I help you today
Guest – hey good morning, so we have an event in 3 weeks from today and its for 300 people and we want you to cater for the event
Us – Thank you very much for keeping us in mind we are so honored but we do not offer catering services
Guest – What if it is for Dangote and its for $1,000,000?
Us – So sorry we don’t, but we can deliver the order or you can arrange to get it picked up at the restaurant
listen to the Podcast to understand why I stopped event catering and my business is better for it. Obviously, this is from my experience and my mindset ,it may be different for other people
– There are different challenges between Event Catering and running a Restaurant my advice is; if you want to be in restaurant business, don’t do event.
Podcast Key Note
- Event Catering is highly competitive and price sensitive
- Who is cheaper is a battle no one wins.
- If your margins are reduced in the hopes of future jobs, that is like eating ice cream to lose weight
- Starting with a low price, trains your customers to expect low
- You will be tempted to match your competitions pricing- you have no idea how bad they are in math
- Your stress level will go up- it’s like adding fuel to fire
- Your already limited hours are more limited
- You become responsible for adhoc staffs you barely know
- Showmanship is key, step your game up or you will be replaced
- Be very flexible with time and be able to adjust to impossible situations
- Event planners can be your gate keepers , are you ready for the politics
- The market is saturated and the lifespan can be short for most
- Running a restaurant is a different ball game than event catering. So if you have the resources to put different team for both businesses; go ahead and do it.
- There are different challenges between event catering and restaurant business and my advice is; if you want to be in restaurant business, don’t do event.
Listen to the Podcast
In Summary, the above reasons pretty much made me stop doing event catering and to focus on just the restaurant and I don’t regret it. I think every business needs to decide in what field they want to be playing in and they have to master that field.