Podcast interview with Founders of EatDrinkLagos
In this episode we talk with Folly and Nosa, founders of Eat Drink Lagos Blog. They produce Eat Drink Festival and a series of other food events annually.The duo have become authorities and trusted voices when it comes to giving reviews of restaurants. They have been consistent and unbiased, they average about 8 reviews monthly and they pride themselves on their integrity and staying true to their audience by speaking as they see it rather than pandering to restaurant owners.
Folayemi is a graduate of the University of Virginia where she obtained a Bachelor’s degree in sociology and French . Besides being a co-founder of EDL, she works for a tourism company as head of operation.
Nosa has his educational background in Mechanical and System Engineering. He currently works in the Bank as Product Manager. He co-founded EDL with Fola abou
Podcast Show Note
Why should people consider you an authority in this space?
In the beginning we were no visible to restaurant management, we were able to create trust in people whereby they knew that we weren’t paid to review restaurants but from our honest opinion and also we have been consistent.
How much have you spend so far eating out for reviews?
Let’s say about 2 million yearly. There was a year precisely 2015, that we kept proper record of our expenses; and we’ve spent even more so far this year.
Tell us about your Festival / Blog – what’s the value you are offering your patrons?
• The thing about the festival is that we curate it with the vendors in menu selection and the type of vendors we invite.
• We try to make them focus on their major offering not that they will have menu list that have Amala, popsicles and burgers; that one will start wondering what exactly they are into and good at.
Advice for someone who want to start a Food Blog?
• Not reach out to restaurant to ask for free food or money
• Keep it private and start up with whatever money you have
• You should actually like food – be a foodie
• Be entrusted in your experience with food and in trying different things
• You should read and research about food a lot
What should Business Owners take from the Review you give them?
It was never personal. It’s just us making honest opinion of what we feel and think. I have no problem in given a better review if there is change in the previous state of the place.
It is like given them advice on working on their food – a curriculum review. You know people read these reviews and go there to see things for themselves.
What are the Trends you see in these Evolving Restaurants in Lagos?
• Restaurants are beginning to look very industrial
• People are going more for ‘Instagramable’ locations – with emphasis on great ambience
• Everyone cares about what they eat today
what should owners stop doing?
• They should streamline their menu
• Cut out the excesses in menu and keep simple;
• They should do more of their specialty food and stay more focused with the popular items on the menu.
• Have all the items on the menu available and don’t lose focus on their priority item
Areas of Focus for Restaurant Owners?
• Try to make sure they have the items on their menu
• Train your staff so they understand the menu and other operations needed for good service
• Have an item (product) that you are known for and be very good at it.